Delaware school creates degree program for budding video game designers
on Wednesday,June 30,2010 19:06
Over the next eight years, the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects that career opportunities for software programmers - including those who design video games - are expected to be high. In fact, the number of jobs in this field is slated to increase almost three times faster than the average for all other occupations.
In response to this expected demand for programming professionals, the University of Wilmington has created a new bachelors degree program in video game design and development, Delaware Online reports.
School officials created a curriculum that is intended to cover various aspects of the field. In addition to classes in topics such as graphic design and media arts, students will be required to tackle more challenging subjects, such as calculus and physics.
This comprehensive curriculum is intended to prepare degree seekers for jobs in a variety of industries, including web development, graphics and media design, law enforcement, medical training as well as entertainment gaming.
Scott Shaw, an assistant professor who developed the course of study, told the news source that graduates of the program "might not go directly into gaming, but they're going to have the skills to put them through a career."
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Average class size is 25, allowing for more one-on-one time with instructors.
- Has a 97% employment rate among available graduates.
- All graduates receive Lifetime Employment Assistance—free and forever.
- Michigan's largest independent college.
- Most instructors are working professionals in the fields they teach.
- Programs are continuously updated to ensure classes are career-relevant and in sync with what's needed in the industry
- Online Courses
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.