Nikon teams with the Whitney museum to teach NYC teens about photography
on Monday,July 12,2010 22:07
The Whitney Museum of American Art has recently started a program that teaches teenagers from New York City about photography. The museum's Youth Insights Education Program works with Nikon to loan 15 students a digital single-lens reflex (D-SLR) camera.
The semester-long course was taught by Nikon photographer, Nina Berman, who educated the students about aperture and depth of field, as well as other elements of photography. Nikon D5000 cameras were loaned to the amateur photographers, who learned how to transition from point-and-shoot cameras to entry-level D-SLRs.
The students final project was to capture the meaning of war through photography and writing. Participants wrote stories, essays and poetry to accompany their photographs. The project allows students to learn from a professional and express themselves through words and imagery.
"Nikon was excited to provide the Youth Insights program with Nikon D-SLR's to support aspiring student photographers," said Lucy Pellegrino, senior strategic marketing manager for Nikon Inc.
The works were celebrated at the Youth Insights Spring Celebration for an audience of more than 80 people, including family, friends, teachers and local artists.
The students' images, which included literal and conceptual interpretations of war, will be available for viewing at the Whitney Museum and online indefinitely.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.