American art students design community center in Mexico
on Wednesday,August 04,2010 23:08
Students who are enrolled in art school may have the opportunity to use their talents in a way that benefits others. For example, the New England Institute of Art (NEiA) recently launched a program that brings interior design students to Mexico.
Adjunct faculty member Deborah Drew, who teaches interior design at NEiA, inspired several of her students to travel with her to the small village of La Penita de Jaltemba on the west coast of Mexico, in order to design and construct a community center.
Drew, who spends winters in the village, wanted to help, "and do so by making suggestions and backing them up by stressing the importance of recycling, opening the mangroves for fresh water, by providing a few scholarships and building eco-parks."
The professor chose a site on an existing basketball court with two smaller buildings adjacent to the town plaza. She created an initial design based on what the village residents wanted, and let her students complete the rest. Each participant is concentrating on a specific area, which includes a yoga studio, a main event area, an indoor/outdoor play area, an arts and crafts room, a library and reading room, changing room, public restrooms, a commercial kitchen and permanent dining area.
Many art schools offer similar programs that allow students to participate in projects with real-world value.
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Online Courses
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.