Refrigeration facility receives environmental sustainability certification
on Monday,August 16,2010 19:08
As more companies strive to be eco-friendly, architects are being challenged to create sustainable designs. In order to recognize businesses that have taken significant measures to become environmentally friendly the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) created the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold Certification (LEED).
The USGBC recently announced that it has awarded Preferred Freezer Services - one of the largest public refrigeration warehouse companies in the U.S. - LEED Gold Certification. Ware Malcomb provided the architecture and interior design for the facility, which temporarily houses frozen goods before they are redistributed for food processing.
The 174,786-square-foot cold storage freezer building earned 40 LEED Certification credits due to its sustainable design features, including low flow plumbing fixtures, highly reflective roofing, energy-efficient HVAC system, on-site bicycle parking and 99.9 percent of construction waste diverted from landfills.
The cold storage building has a 60-foot tall steel structure freezer with metal faced 6-inch insulated panel walls and a 9-inch insulated thermoplastic polyolefin white roof. The freezer uses a system of robotic picking and retrieval technology, which allows for fully automated production.
The company has made efforts to reduce the impacts of a freezer warehouse on the environment through the use of automated techniques, inclusion of a rail spur and the use of efficient refrigeration technology.
Adults who are interested in launching careers in environmentally friendly architecture may want to consider enrolling in a design degree program.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.