Environmental organization converts historic building to green office
on Wednesday,September 15,2010 22:09
In the historic district of downtown Chicago, a new green office has been built by the Environmental Law and Policy Center (ELPC). The office is designed to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Platinum certification, which is the highest standard in green building. The unique project was a challenge in creating a sustainable office in a historic building.
ELPC's new office was designed to maximize green features in order to create a sustainable, high-tech space while preserving the building's historic facade. An energy-efficient lighting system has been installed, which uses half the power of a conventional system. Also, interior windows and frosted glass were used to spread natural light throughout the office.
"We've created a highly efficient workspace that's healthy for our staff and makes economic sense," said Howard Learner, executive director of ELPC. "We've also created an example that can push the market toward a higher standard for green office design."
Throughout construction, ELPC diverted more than 75 percent of waste from landfills and used locally sourced, recycled and recyclable materials. A private shower was installed to encourage employees to bike to work, and solar panels on the building's facade will directly supply the office with clean energy.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.