Eco-friendly house uses technology to conserve energy
on Wednesday,September 22,2010 22:09
A recent trend among environmentally conscious celebrities is to install energy-saving technologies into their homes. However, a smart house that automatically controls lighting, digital art and security may be available to non-celebrity homeowners as well.
Smart homes rely on networking, programming and automation to connect all the devices and appliances in a house so they can communicate with each other. Systems can turn on a coffee maker in the morning, adjust the temperature of a heated pool or control the time landscape lighting goes on at night, all of which can save energy.
In recognition of excellence in design, John Davies of Marrokal Design and Remodeling recently won Contractor of the Year Award from the National Association of the Remodeling Industry for a home remodel in San Diego that featured a centralized computer system.
The Marrokal Design and Remodeling project began as a one-story Spanish-style home built in the 1970s. The homeowners purchased two smaller adjacent lots to create an estate-like setting in San Diego's Presidio neighborhood. To more easily operate all the electronics in the remodeled 4,500-square-foot residence, the homeowners opted to incorporate a smart house system using components from a variety of home automation companies.
The system allows the owners to monitor and control lighting, sound, heating and air conditioning, sunshades, and more from remote locations.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.