Art auction houses seeing large turnouts
on Friday,November 05,2010 19:11
Many businesses are still feeling the backlash of the 2008 recession, but the art industry is not one of them. Since the economic downturn, big name paintings have been fetching millions of dollars for auction houses, according to the New York Times.
Rarity has played a role in the success dealers and firms are seeing as of late. The Sotheby and Christie auction houses recently sold off nearly half a billion dollars worth of paintings, sculptures and drawings as more collectors showed a willingness to pay large amounts of money for historical pieces of art. Three world records were set for the prices that two paintings and one sculpture sold for.
Bidders have seemingly willing to splurge to obtain these rare pieces as well. In a 1996 sale held by Sotheby, the auction house had a difficult time making back the money on a Modigliani painting titled, "Jeanne Hébuterne au chapeau." When it recently re-entered auction, was sold for a surprising $19 million.
Artist jobs are projected to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. As the industry continues to see success, more people may be encourage to gain an education in art and enter the field.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.