Contemporary art makes a comeback at recent auction
on Tuesday,November 09,2010 20:11
Contemporary art was popular when artists like Andy Warhol were alive and well, and continues to remain popular among collectors today. This was emphasized at a recent auction at Phillips de Pury & Company on Park Avenue on Monday when art enthusiasts vied to get their hands on contemporary originals.
Pieces by Andy Warhol, Felix Gonzalez-Torres and Rudolf Stingel all sold for record prices, the New York Times reports. This event was the first of many artist-organized exhibits Phillips plans to hold this year. The company plans to designate their new sales floor for artists to host their own auctions and exhibitions, as opposed to curators.
Philippe Ségalot was the host of this week's event. Although not all of the pieces were auctioned off, he saw promise in collectors' newfound willingness to buy.
"There were some fantastic prices," Ségalot told the news source. "Still I was disappointed three works didn't sell. Auctions are not a perfect science. I guess they're always unpredictable."
Art-related jobs are projected to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.