Christies auction in New York breaks records
on Thursday,November 11,2010 20:11
The New York fall auction held by Christie's was predicted to bring in a large amount of cash from contemporary art fanatics, but few predicted that pieces would sell for record-breaking prices. The auction, which ended on Wednesday, sold $272,873,000 worth of art, according to Reuters. This beat out rival Sotheby's auction by a large margin.
Roy Lichtenstein's renowned painting, "Oh...Alright" was sold for $42.6 million, which is the most one of the artist's pieces had ever sold for. Prior to the auction, Lichtenstein's record had been $16.2 million. Jeff Koons' piece, "Balloon Flower," was also a highlight of the night, selling for a surprising $16.8 million.
Pop artist Andy Warhol's works were some of the only disappointing pieces of the night, critics said. "Big Campbell's Soup Can with Can Opener (Vegetable)" sold for a mere $23.8 million, which is less than half of what the piece was expected to sell for. Experts say that the high availability of Warhol artwork lately at other recent auctions may be to blame for the low number.
Artist careers are expected to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.