Local group gives outlet to graffiti artists
on Tuesday,November 16,2010 14:11
Graffiti has been long considered a form of vandalism, but a new program is helping street taggers turn their talent into other forms of art. The Graff Lab group in Los Angeles is keeping former taggers off the streets on weekends and deterring gang violence.
Many graffiti taggers say that there is a thrill in evading the law, according to the Los Angeles Times. Vandalism, which is considered a crime, can give artists a high. However, the basis of tagging is creativity, which is why the Graff Lab was developed. Former street artists now have a place to go to unleash their energy and express their talent without finding themselves in trouble with the law.
"It's not defacing property; it's an art form," Graff Lab founder Ricardo Guerrero told the news source. "They can be whatever they want, but when they cross through those doors, they are an artist."
Graff Lab is has a wide range of artists, including teenagers and working professionals alike. Participants are able to use every part of the office space where the program is held to create art.
Art-related jobs are predicted to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Game Art & Design (BS)
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.