Huntington Library receives $100 million donation
on Tuesday,November 16,2010 19:11
Libraries are valuable resources for not only students, but the public as well. However, budget shortfalls and a lack of donations have been to blame for the closing of many libraries across the country. This week, the Huntington Library art collections and botanical gardens in southern California received a donation that put its money woes on the back burner.
The Huntington Library received an estimated $100 million from a Los Angeles art patron, which is almost 40 percent of the institution's endowment. This is the largest donation the library has received since $21 million was given by Charles and Nancy Munger in 2002.
"A number of museums have received significant gifts when you value the art and cash donations together," Huntington president Steven Koblik told the Los Angeles Times. "But as a pure cash gift, this has very few equivalents - except for the founding gifts that create institutions."
The donation is one of the highest made in history. In 2005, David Rockefeller gave a comparable gift of $100 million to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
There are more than 122,000 libraries across the U.S., according to the American Library Association. These institutions and their patrons benefit from donations.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.