Workers discover Great Depression murals
on Monday,November 22,2010 20:11
Lost works can be hidden in unusual places, which is what workers discovered when they recently tore down dry wall at the University of Rhode Island. Behind the walls, six different murals painted by Gino Conti were uncovered. Art historians previously assumed that the works had been lost forever, according to USA Today.
The murals were painted 71 years ago and funded by federal stimulus funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The group paid artists, such as Conti, to create works during the Great Depression. The murals discovered at the University of Rhode Island express earth, wind, fire, youth and progression.
"WPA art is 'a snapshot into history,'" Brian Miller, inspector general of the General Services Administration (GSA), told the news source. "They capture America as it was in the 1930s and '40s. We want to put them up for everybody to see."
Conti died in 1983, but he was just one of the many artists who were commissioned at the time to create encouraging pieces during the economic downturn.
Artist jobs are projected to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.