Haitian artists showcase work at Art Basel
on Friday,December 03,2010 15:12
Art is not only a creative outlet for many people, but an emotional one as well. This week, the Art Basel show began in Miami, Florida, attracting collectors and artists from around the country. However, not all of the artists who have their work showcased are trying to make a few extra dollars - some are attempting to earn enough money to rebuild their lives.
Several artists from the earthquake-ravaged country of Haiti are having their pieces featured at Art Basel to make money that can be brought home to loved ones. Many Haitian artists chose to use the opportunity to express their experiences through their work, according to the Miami Herald. Their hope is to emphasize the need for more help in the recovering country.
"Art is an act of survival,'' executive director of the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami, Bonnie Clearwater, told the news source. "All the Haiti art that will be here during Art Basel keeps the story from being in the abstract, it tells what this all means in human terms.''
Artist jobs are predicted to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Online Courses
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.