Woman unknowingly owns Lichtenstein piece for decades
on Monday,December 06,2010 19:12
Recently, contemporary art has grown in popularity among collectors. However, one 74-year old woman had no idea that she owned a valuable piece for more than 45 years until just weeks ago.
Enid Liess purchased "The Statesman" by Roy Lichtenstein at an art auction at her temple in the 1960s, according to the Washington Post. Today, collectors might have paid millions for the work, but Liess spent $12.50 on "The Statesman," which hung above her fireplace for years.
The painting has traveled with Liess from her home in Milwaukee to Virginia since it was purchased at auction. Eventually, Liess brought the piece to the Milwaukee Art Museum for authentication after recognizing "The Statesman" at a lecture. Since receiving confirmation, Liess has decided to put the piece up for auction once again, starting at $40,000.
"I have very mixed feelings," Liess told the news source. "I'm a person who primarily does not care about things. Artwork is what I have picked to engage my being."
Employment of artists is projected to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Online Courses
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.