Ohio students mail soldiers overseas holiday cheer
on Friday,December 10,2010 15:12
Individuals who use art as a creative outlet can not only positively influence those around them, but people abroad as well. Recently, a group of Ohio art students utilized their talents to raise the spirits of soldiers serving overseas, the Middletown Journal reports.
Approximately 75 high school students from Monroe, Ohio, created holiday cards to send to military officials in Afghanistan. More than 125 cards have been created since November, according to high school art teacher, Diana Mueller. They will be sent to U.S. Marine staff sergeant, Brian Dillon, and his troops.
"I got an email from Brian's aunt in October saying he was on his fifth tour of duty and anyone that might want to correspond with him, here's his address," Mueller told the news source. "The kids were excited by it."
Dillon's aunt, Ann Hinkle, has written a letter to her nephew, asking him if he would like to meet with the students when he returns home. The sergeant is expected to return home by February 2011.
Employment of artists is predicted to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Projects, such as the one being completed by Monroe students, may inspire kids to pursue a career in the industry in the future.
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.