Assemblist uses degree to change perception of art
on Monday,December 13,2010 21:12
Many people assimilate artists with paint and canvases, but one Ohio native is proving that art is in the eye of the beholder. Scott Smith is one example of an individual who used his degree from Ohio University to revolutionize what people deem as art, according to The Huntsville Times. As an assemblist, Smith uses mediums ranging from rice paper to steel.
"For a long time I was a professional printmaker in Maine, Florida and New York," Smith told the news source. "As a printer, you are working with things that are fragile. When I decided I didn't want to make my images in the traditional sense, the move was to deal with rust and how I can handle rust."
Smith has found a following upon transitioning from traditional print art to assembling pieces out of resources that other people may consider junk. The artist just finished a two-month showcase with his colleague, Dana Brown, at the Carnegie Visual Arts Center.
Smith's works can be found at the New Orleans Museum of Art in Louisiana, along with the Art Alley and Willis Gray galleries in Alabama.
Employment of artists is predicted to increase by 12 percent over the next eight years, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Digital Photography (AS)
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.