Artists flocking to Detroit to renovate abandoned structures
on Tuesday,January 04,2011 20:01
Abandoned buildings have been an eye sore for residents in Detroit, Michigan, for years. Now, artists are doing their part to save on demolition costs and turn weathered structures into valuable public works.
Recently, half a dozen artists from out-of-state decided to try their hand at improving the aesthetics of four abandoned houses, according to the Associated Press. The individuals received $180,000 from Juxtapoz, an art magazine from San Francisco, California. In the February issue of the publication, the artists' improvements to the buildings will be featured and commended.
"Detroit was great from a creative and personal perspective," artist Richard Colman told the Detroit Free Press. "We were simply trying to breathe new life into an otherwise unused and decaying structure."
Juxtapoz magazine intends to continuing funding more artists to travel to Detroit and other depleted cities across the country to enhance urban beauty.
Employment of artists is projected to increase by 12 percent over the next seven years, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Donations may encourage more individuals to pursue art projects and careers in the industry.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.