Amateur illustrator teacher creates character to inspire children
on Tuesday,January 04,2011 20:01
Professional designers who develop illustrations geared toward children can have a large impact on the younger generation. However, Traci Ficociello is proving that even amateur illustrators can positively affect kids.
The art teacher from Yarmouth, Massachusetts, decided to try her hand at design after seeing many of her fourth and fifth grade students getting down on themselves. Young girls, in particular, showed a large amount of difficult expressing themselves in Ficociello's class due to a low self-esteem, according to the Patriot Ledger.
In an effort to raise her students' spirits, Ficociello designed Ziggli, a brown-haired cartoon girl who has one encouraging motto: "I can be anything!" Ficociello has printed Ziggli on T-shirts, sweatshirts and totes for parents and kids alike. Improving the self-esteem in children can help them grow into successful adults.
"Girls have so much negativity around them, and I can see that it affects their confidence," Ficociello told the news source. "I wanted to come up with a character who is powerful and strong, someone who uses her brain and can inspire young girls to believe they can be anything they want to be."
Employment of graphic designers is expected to increase by 13 percent over the next seven years, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Amateur illustrators, similar to Ficociello, may inspire others to pursue a career in the industry.
- Design Research (BFA)
- Design Visualization (BS)
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Full Sail University offers online degree programs that are designed for the world of entertainment, media, arts, and technology. Full Sail's approach is centered on real-world industry experience and creative problem solving.
- Full Sail uses the experience and knowledge gained from more than three decades of educational innovation to create an unparalleled online education experience that challenges and inspires our students.
- Learning at Full Sail has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas, and our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Through Full Sail’s multitude of online program offerings, students get: One-click access to instructors, Powerful collaborative tools, Interactive learning environments and Innovative curriculum.
- Full Sail's newest program is the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting. Developed in collaboration with sportscasting veteran Dan Patrick, the goal is to provide students with real world experience both behind and in fornt of the camera.
- Online Courses
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.