Protesters to approach Clough over Wojnarowicz video removal
on Wednesday,January 19,2011 20:01
Those who criticized Smithsonian Institution secretary Wayne Clough for removing David Wojnarowicz's "A Fire in My Belly" are taking their anger to a new level by organizing a protest. Individuals are planning to greet Clough with signs, as he arrives at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles, California, for a speaking event.
The 13-minute video by David Wojnarowicz was removed from the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. after receiving criticism from conservatives across the country, according to the Los Angeles Times. "A Fire in My Belly" depicts Jesus Christ on the crucifix, being swarmed by ants. Wojnarowicz created the piece as a response to the AIDS crisis in the 1980s.
Since the video was removed from the National Portrait Gallery, it has been relocated to the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Recently, two art enthusiasts opened their own Museum of Censored Art in a motorhome next to the Smithsonian institution to air the video to the public at their own discretion.
Clough's talk is titled, "New Perspectives at the Smithsonian." Although it has been sold out for months, outrage over the removal of the video is likely to come up at the discussion.
Employment of artists is projected to increase by 12 percent over the next seven years, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.