Miami parking garage becomes public space for special events
on Monday,January 24,2011 20:01
Architects are known for buildings that dot notable city skylines, but many designers are turning to a new type of structure to exhibit their creativity: garages.
Parking garages are typically far from glamorous, but when Nina Johnson saw the structure developed by Robert Wennett in Miami, Florida, she knew it was the perfect wedding venue. The bride-to-be decided that the garage would be the spot where she would exchange vows, according to the Boston Globe.
"When we saw it, we were in total awe," Johnson told the news source.
Despite the unusual circumstances, Miami locals say that it is no longer uncommon for individuals to flock to the $65 million garage for special events. Its form is unlike the average parking garage, lacking walls and providing full 360-degree views. Its exaggerated ceiling heights make it appear to be a loft, as opposed to a garage used to hold motor vehicles.
"This is not a parking garage," Wennett told the news source. "It's really a civic space."
Modern structures may influence more individuals to pursue careers in the field. Employment in architecture is projected to increase by 16 percent over the next seven years, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.