Forbidden City exhibit debuts at Museum of Modern Art
on Tuesday,February 01,2011 19:02
Art enthusiasts who previously thought they would not have the opportunity to view pieces from China's Forbidden City will have the opportunity to do so beginning on February 1.
"The Emperor's Private Paradise: Treasures from the Forbidden City" will open at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, displaying artifacts from a Chinese luxury compound that was closed off for years, according to Reuters. The pieces come from a 27-building garden sanctuary completed by Emperor Qianlong. Approximately 90 works will be available for all to see until May 1.
"The garden was meant to be a lasting testimony to the efficacy of his [the emperor's] rule," Maxwell Hearn, the curator of the exhibition, told the news source. "Every surface was embellished with the finest workmanship, the most precious materials imaginable."
Pieces on display include Buddhist statues, scrolls, murals and furniture. Art experts have been interested in artifacts from the Forbidden City for years because of its unusual signs of Western influence.
Historical exhibits may inspire individuals to pursue careers in the art industry. Employment in fine artists is expected to increase by 9 percent over the next seven years, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.