Design Awards takes place in the middle of Fashion Week
on Monday,August 15,2011 22:08
It is no secret that the First Lady Michelle Obama is in tune with fashion design and news, as she wears some of the best fashion designer's creations. However, a little blip occurred as she scheduled the annual National Design Awards on September 13 - right in the middle of New York Fashion Week, according to Women's Wear Daily.
Gilles Mendel is this year's Fashion Design winner, as he moved the date of his runway show to make sure that he attends the awards, which will take place at the White House, according to the media outlet.
A couple of designers - Jason Wu and Prabal Gurung - have decided to stay in New York instead of making their way to Washington D.C. during one of the most important weeks in fashion.
According to the Huffington Post, this event usually falls in July, and at last year's event Obama was star stuck when she met Tim Gunn. The awards also showcases some of the upcoming spring collections including Narciso Rodriguez, Bibhu Mohapatra, Vera Wang and J.Crew.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.